Top Tips For Finding The Right Job
Finding a job that you love increases your chances of long-term career success. It also means you won’t have to look for a new job again in a hurry!
Here's some things to consider before you start searching for a new role.
What don’t you want?
- Why are you leaving your old job? Is the new role sufficiently different?
Match the role with Your Spark
- Will the role make use of your strengths and abilities?
- Is the position compatible with your personality, interests and beliefs?
- Will you be required to work autonomously or closely within a team? Does this style of working suit you best?
- Are there opportunities to grow in this role, develop new skills and knowledge?
- Will this work continue to interest and stimulate you in the future?
Salary & conditions
- Is the proposed salary a reasonable match with your skills and experience?
- Does the proposed salary help you meet your financial goals?
- What other working conditions are important to you (hours, leave, flexibility)? What are the company policies for these?
Company structure & culture
- What is the company culture – does it align with your own values?
- Is the job based in a location you will enjoy working in and travelling to?
- Is the company large, medium or small? Does this environment suit you?
- Does the company have a strong financial position and growth plans for the future?
- How is performance measured and how often it is reviewed?
- Does the company offer mentorship, certifications, professional memberships, skills training or development programs?
- Are there clear prospects for career advancement with the company or affiliated organisations?